Herron and Riverside High School’s uniform requirements are intended to promote a better learning environment and increase academic achievement by fostering school spirit, reducing socio economic differences, and most importantly, enhancing student safety. Herron and Riverside High School believe that students should be judged on the merits of their actions, not on the labels or expense of their clothing. To ensure a more orderly, fair society, students are expected to be in uniform at all times during the school day.
All uniforms may be purchased at Schoolbelles, 6315 N Keystone Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46220, or online at www.schoolbelles.com with school code S2275. Pants, shorts, skorts and Herron/Riverside outerwear must be purchased from Schoolbelles. Crewnecks, belts, shoes, polo shirts, thermal layering and socks may be purchased elsewhere provided they meet the requirements listed below.
Students are not allowed to:
• Modify, embellish, or deface (including writing on) their uniform in any way
• Wear chains, spiked jewelry, jewelry that represents violence in any manner.
• Wear hats or sunglasses in the school buildings.
• White or black polo
• Collar visible above all fleeces, cardigan and sweatshirts
• Buttoned up to within top two buttons
• May be plain or sporting the Herron/Riverside emblem (any other logo must be smaller than 2’)
• May have long or short sleeves
STUDENT ID CARD and LANYARD
• Must be student’s own school-issued photo ID card in plastic case
• Must be worn on school lanyard around the neck
• Must be worn visibly on outside of all clothing at all times during the school day
• May not be defaced, broken or obscured in any way. Such ID cards are treated as missing and will be replaced immediately
• Students will be issued 1 free ID card/semester. Additional ID cards must be purchased for $5.
KHAKI CHINO TROUSERS
• Must be the official Herron/Riverside High School logo pants from Schoolbelles
• May not sag, be excessively loose or tight, or rolled up above the ankles
• Must be intact and clean
• No tears, rips, holes, or ink markings even of a decorative nature.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Parents and families will have through the end of first quarter to obtain the official Schoolbelles khaki pants. Until that point, students should still be wearing flat front, khaki colored, chino pants from any vendor. After Quarter One, all students should be in compliance with 100% of the uniform policy each day.
• Slide-on sandals, flip-flops and slippers are not permitted
• Excessively high heels are not permitted
• Pants must fit over the outside of any boots, and worn down to the ankle
OPTIONAL COMPONENTS – In addition to the base uniform, students are permitted to add the
• White crewneck undershirt
• Solid, plain brown or black belt. May not have any decorations including but not limited to metal studs, rivets, rhinestones, tabs, etc.
• Herron/Riverside fleece, cardigan, or sweatshirt. Must not be defaced, colored, ripped, torn, cut-off, covered in paint or modified
• Seniors only: College sweatshirts
• Must be the official short pants from Schoolbelles with Herron/Riverside logo
• May not sag, be excessively loose or tight, and must not have the length altered
• Must be intact and clean
• No tears, rips, holes or ink markings even of a decorative nature
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Parents and families will have through the end of first quarter to obtain the official Schoolbelles short pants. Until that point, students should still be wearing flat front, khaki colored, chino shorts from any vendor. After Quarter One, all students should be in compliance with 100% of the uniform policy each day.
• Herron red and black plaid or Riverside blue and grey skort purchased from Schoolbelles may be worn in place of khaki pants
• May not be rolled up at the waist
• Must be knee length
LEGGINGS, TIGHTS, HOSIERY, CALF- OR KNEE-SOCKS
• Solid red, black, white, or gray leggings may be worn with skorts
• May not have any patterns or designs
• Must be opaque and solid
• No rips, tears or holes, even of a decorative nature
• Only one color at a time, both legs matching
• All students may wear a thermal base under their uniforms
• Long-sleeve, crewneck thermal shirts are permitted under polos at all times (black or white, solid colors)
• No hats or other head coverings, except in accord with religious tenets or medical need, may be worn inside the buildings
• No bandanas worn in any style
• Headbands are permitted provided they are not distracting
• Students participating in a visual art class may wear a smock or large shirt during class to protect their school uniform from paint or stains
Please note: If families need additional resources to obtain required uniform items, they are encouraged to reach out to our main offices for assistance. Gently used items may be for sale at various points throughout the year.